Sunday, April 1, 2012

Something Old, Something New


A gray and cool day yesterday was warmed by a wedding ceremony for which I was the wedding officiant...at Bridgewaters in South Street Seaport.

The something old part was the use of Tara's mother's lace mantilla on the ceremonial table. I referred to the veil as a symbol of the threads, hundreds of delicate threads, that will link Tara and Eric's lives, families, and their future.




In the picture of this veil, you will see a wine glass. I adapted the unity candle ritual of Eric's Irish/Hispanic Catholic roots with the traditional wine sharing with a Jewish kiddush cup. The result was a wedding ceremony ritual that reflected the two faiths that are at the root and heart of their families' traditions.



I met Tara a year ago, and I did not meet Eric until yesterday, but I feel like I've known them a long time. I enjoyed meeting their families and learning all about how they met. It was my honor to be their officiant.

A word of thanks to their wedding planner, Shawn Rabideau...you made my work so easy, and I appreciated all your efficient and cheerful responses to each request or question I had. And most remarkable of all - you got that long procession lined up and started ahead of schedule!

No comments: