Friday, April 12, 2013

City Hall or At Home?


 
 
Janet and Frank had been together for decades, and they decided to "make it legal" for many practical and emotional reasons.  They planned to keep it simple by going to the Staten Island City Clerk's Office to get married, but a voice in Janet's head said she wanted to do something more personal.  So she called me.

Knowing I was a civil wedding officiant, she asked if I did wedding ceremonies in a couple's home.  I said I certainly did.  I asked about what she and Frank wanted in their ceremony, and then wrote the script that incorporated their ideas and wishes.

They wanted to acknowledge the spiritual side of their lives, so a meditational reading was included.

They wanted their dear friends to be their witnesses and stand with them.  They were right there.

They wanted their love story told.

On the day, I arrived to find a charming home filled with flowers, champagne, and an excited bride and groom.  I conducted the ceremony, and then joined them in a congratulatory toast...with chocolate covered strawberries too.  They planned to continue their celebration with their friends at a nearby upscale restaurant.

By enlisting my professional approach to their ceremony, I know their wedding ceremony was just what they wanted...something personal and focused on them.  It was a delight for me...and it was meaningful for them.


Julie Laudicina, Celebrant!
 
 

No comments: